March 12, 2023 #MINNAatHome
MINNA at Home with: Maggie Pate of NÅDE Studio
We are thrilled to share a peek into the lovely home of talented artist and Hudson Valley neighbor, Maggie Pate, as she graciously welcomes us into her world of textiles, natural dyes, and teachings. We sincerely hope you enjoy this delightful insight into her abode!
By Eimy Figueroa
Featuring our Moon Shag Pillow in Cream.
What’s your name and pronouns? Tell us about yourself.
Maggie: Maggie Pate. (She/Her) I'm a textile artist, natural dyer, and teacher. My studio is named after the word grace in Danish, NÅDE - because my work is intertwined with the message to show grace to Mother Earth, others, and ourselves.
Beyond my work, I am a homebody that hangs out with my cats and always searching for the perfect butter croissant. Also, don't love talking about myself. 🙃
Featuring our Moon Shag Pillow in Cream and the Arc Throw in Rust.
Where are you located, how long have you been making your space a home?
Maggie: Chatham, New York. Been living in this area for 3 years. Before that I was all over. In Vermont, many boroughs in NYC, Tennessee, Arizona. After moving around so much, having roots and a sacred space is so integral for my mental health and creativity.
What is your favorite meal to make at home?
Maggie: I love to bake. I'm a really big carb and sweets girl. Baking is also my love language - so my near and dear should expect birthday treats. As for me, I never tire of my Pistachio Citrus Olive Oil Cake.
Pistachio Citrus Olive Oil Cake Recipe
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup finely chopped pistachios
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1.5 teaspoon vanilla extract
- zest of 1/2 orange
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2-3 tablespoons of milk
- 1 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped pistachios for topping
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Liberally grease a large bundt pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk the olive oil, sugar, and eggs for about 1 minute.
- Mix in the chopped pistachios, milk, vanilla extract, and orange zest.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Fold the mixture into the wet ingredients until combined.
- Pour into the prepared bundt pan.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes, until a knife inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes before inverting onto a cooling rack.
- Mix icing ingredients then pour over top.
Featuring our Grid Potholder in Peach.
When do you feel your most creative?
Maggie: Creating products can be really repetitive and sometimes I feel detached from the process. When I am exploring new sources of natural colors or textile techniques I feel most creative.
Featuring our Arc Throw in Rust.
What are your favorite ways to relax at home?
Maggie: Wintertime... I'll put a movie on the projector and keep the woodstove roaring. Summertime... I'll take a book out and swing in the hammock or check on the flowers in the garden religiously.
If you could have a sit down with any three people, someone you know/don’t know/alive/dead, who would they be?
Maggie: I would probably like to sit down with my birth parents. There is so much of our identity that is genuine and unique to the individual but I have also felt detached from the part of my identity that is heritage and history.